We had another FUN week here in kindergarten continuing our Scarecrow Unit! This week was also the end of the first quarter so the kids did not have school on Friday and I have been busy getting report cards all done. I can’t get over how fast time has gone by!
I am so proud of my kiddos and how much they have progressed from the beginning of the year!! 🙂
- Place a bucket of unifix cubes in the middle of the table.
- Give each student a sheet with 2 cube towers next to each other. This is their ‘tower recording sheet’.
- Have students take 1 handful of cubes and make a tower with the ones they grabbed. (Students will try to take WAY more then they can take with one hand when you are not watching. So really make sure to explain 1 HANDFUL ONLY)
- Have the students count how many cubes are in the tower.
- On their ‘tower recording sheet’ have them color one of the towers the same amount of cubes as they have in their tower.
- Put that tower to the side.
- Now have them take another handful of cubes and make a new tower with the ones they grabbed.
- Have students count how many cubes are in their tower.
- Students will now color the other tower on their ‘tower recording sheet’ the same amount of cubes as they have on their new tower.
- Students will now look at the two towers that they colored and determine which tower has more and which tower has less.
- You can also have them look at the 2 towers that they made with the unifix cubes to determine more or less.
- Have students circle the tower that shows more.
- Students will pull the cubes apart and place the cubes back in the bucket and play again!
- I have my students play 2 times and then glue their work onto a piece of construction paper.