Hi everyone! I just want to say thank you to everyone who has come to check out my blog and to all my followers. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it and for all of your support! You have all taught me so much and I hope I have been able to give you ideas and materials for your classroom 🙂
As many of you know, I absolutely LOVE doing themes in my classroom! I have been asked to share my year long plan that I do for my thematic units and I am so excited to finally have it all ready for you to see!
I know some people have mixed feelings regarding themes because they feel they do not always meet the standards, but I do have to disagree. I can’t say enough wonderful things about doing themes! During my weekly or biweekly themes, I hit more common core standards than I can count! There are a ton of benefits that themes provide for my students that truly gives them so much growth and success!
Some of the biggest benefits I feel thematic units do in the classroom are:
– Gives a variety of learning
– Keeps students engaged through fun activities
– Makes for well-rounded students
– Allows teachers to integrate ALL subjects while using literacy within those subjects
– Students draw connections from the real world
– Helps students understand connections and how to make connections
– Makes standards exciting for students
– Provides a variety of activities for a standard
– Creates a community of learners
– Helps with vocabulary (especially for my high populated ESL students)
– Gives a great flow of standards and learning throughout the school year
– and sooooo much MORE!!
I can go on and on, but know you are probably ready to see my Year Long Plan instead 🙂
So… Here it is!